Winter is knocking on the door and has already cracked it open a couple of times. If you haven’t prepared your house for winter yet, you better get on it.
Each season we share helpful tips to prepare your home. Considering the winter forecast is supposed to be extreme this season, make sure you prepare your house with these tips!
Preparing For Winter >> Exterior House
- Fix and/or replace any broken or cracked weather stripping
- Replace any missing roof shingles
- Redo the caulking around all exterior windows
- Clean and inspect eavestroughs and downspouts; repair any damage
- Turn off the water supply to any exterior water spouts
Preparing For Winter >> Interior House
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and if battery-powered replace the batteries with new ones
- Turn on your furnace to ensure everything is working properly, change the air filters and have any repairs made before temperatures consistently fall below zero
- Cover pipes that are at risk of freezing with insulation or foam rubber sleeves
Preparing For Winter >> Shed, Garage, Winter Equipment
- Clean out your garage to make room for your car(s)
- Make sure you have salt and sand easily accessible by all entrances
- Put all fall and summer yard equipment away for winter
- Make sure your snowblower is in good working order, and easily accessible
Your house is one of the biggest investments you’ll make in your lifetime, protect it by preparing it for winter weather. We hope these tips help you have a stress-free winter!
Click here for a INSTANT Auto Quote »