As a business owner, you must consider everything that could potentially become a risk to your employees and customers. That’s why we’re reminding you how to avoid holiday décor safety issues.
There are a lot of potential risks you may not think of or even be aware of when it comes to decorating your business for the holiday season.
Protect your business this holiday season by reviewing our decorating safety tips.
Festive Holiday Décor Safety Tips for Your Business
- Many holiday decorations involve installation at heights beyond what can be reached from the ground
- If you are outsourcing décor to a third-party vendor be sure to get a copy of their liability insurance
- If your employees are decorating, ensure they have the proper equipment and a spotter(s)
- Make sure whoever is decorating is wearing appropriate safety footwear
- If a Christmas tree is being set up, make sure it’s stable and secure and this goes for any other holiday decorations as well
Let There Be Light
- Your Christmas lights will wear out over time, which can become a safety concern - be sure to inspect all lights for frayed wires, broken sockets, or any other abnormalities
- If possible, switch to low voltage Christmas lights, as it reduces the risk of fatal shock
- Utilizing a Christmas lights timer will help prevent overheating
- Don’t hang, stick, or place your holiday décor or tree too close to:
- Heat sources
- Fire/smoke detectors
- If using a natural Christmas tree, keep it in a tree stand with adequate water supply to avoid it from becoming dry and flammable