The office holiday party is an opportunity for employees, and management to get together, and celebrate the festive season! To avoid any disasters, check out our helpful tips!
When it comes to office holiday parties, it’s important to make sure that everyone is safe, especially if alcohol is involved.
During the holiday season, we tend to be merrier and indulge in things more so than we normally would. It is easy to get carried away with all the excitement in the air. If you are hosting a holiday party at your office this year, you must ensure you have done your due diligence in ensuring your staff’s safety.
Keeping Your Holiday Office Party Disaster Free
- Contact your insurance broker beforehand to review policy coverage:
- If alcohol is being served, be completely transparent with your broker
- Review any limitations, exclusions, or stipulations your policy may include
- Host a breakfast, brunch or lunch holiday party, as this will limit or exclude alcohol consumption
- Before the soiree be sure to communicate to your employees a ZERO tolerance policy regarding drinking and driving
- If alcohol is being served, arrange transportation for employees or offer taxi vouchers
- Refrain from offering an open bar, give employees 1 or 2 complimentary drink tickets and then require them to pay for remaining alcoholic drinks they may consume
- If the holiday party is at a location where you are responsible for hiring bartenders, ensure they are professional, properly trained, and have the appropriate certifications to serve alcohol in Ontario
In addition, we highly recommend you read our office holiday party insurance & liability blog as it covers off all the dos and don’ts. Most Importantly be sure to exercise an abundance of caution, never be afraid to cut someone off. Although difficult at the time it could prevent a bigger issue from arising.