Every holiday season more people go online to complete their holiday shopping list. Although convenient and efficient, this comes with some risks you must protect yourself against.
Online shopping is a great way to find a wide selection of gifts from around the world. Unfortunately, there are some people on Santa’s naughty list waiting to take advantage of you. Follow our online shopping safety tips to help protect yourself this holiday season.
Online Holiday Shopping Safety Tips
- Make sure your spam filters and anti-virus protection is up to date. This is especially important when you take part in online shopping.
- Have a credit card designated for online shopping. Keep a low credit limit on it (less than $2500) and constantly track it to ensure there is no fraudulent activity.
- Use only secure websites when online shopping - the website URL should have an “s” in it "https".
- Never make a purchase while on public WIFI because it’s easy for your information to be stolen.
- If you’re away from home during the day when most deliveries are made, have your online shopping dropped off at the nearest store or pick-up facility.
- If you’re unable to have the package delivered elsewhere, sign up for delivery alerts so you know when the package has been delivered.
- If you have frequent deliveries to your home, install a doorbell camera so you can keep an eye on your package.
- Leave delivery instructions when making the order. If you know you won’t be home leave instructions such as “place behind flower pot on the front porch” or “place at side door.”
If something doesn’t seem right while online shopping, don’t go through with the purchase. We hope these tips help keep you safe while online shopping!
Click here for a INSTANT Auto Quote »