Throughout the fall, Ontarians should anticipate extreme weather events with winds potentially reaching 80-100 kilometers. Due to this, you need to protect your home from the wind!
It’s true, the wind can damage your home and other property if appropriate precautions aren't taken.
Homeowners can suffer a tremendous amount of damage from windstorms. You can mitigate potential damage by protecting your roof, windows, entry doors and garage doors from extreme wind events.
Five Helpful Ways to Control Wind Damage
#1 Protect Your Roof:
- Have your roof inspected to make sure that it’s up to code and has enough nails per shingle.
- Make sure gables are securely attached to the rest of your home.
- Consider installing hurricane clips, as they can help protect the structure of your roof from being damaged by the wind.
#2 Protect Your Doors:
- Install solid wood or hollow metal doors with at least three hinges and a deadbolt lock.
#3 Protect Your Windows:
- Install impact-resistant shutters on your large windows and glass doors around your home. They will help protect against damage caused by pressure changes when windows and doors break. These shutters also protect glass from wind borne objects.
- Consider installing impact-resistant windows and patio doors.
#4 Protect Your Garage Door:
- Install single-wide garage doors on your home versus double-wide doors because they are not as susceptible to wind damage due to their size.
- Choose heavy hinges to strengthen doors.
#5 Keep Your Insurance Updated
To prevent excess damage, plan for a storm by keeping your homeowner’s policy insured values up-to-date and purchase flood insurance. Use a home inventory checklist to keep track of your valuables in the event of a natural disaster.
Preparing for potential damage is the best way to prevent issues from arising.
Click here for a INSTANT Auto Quote »
October is #CarSafetyMonth »
Halloween Safety Tips that Will Haunt You Forever »