As part of our #GiveBackOntario 110 Acts of Kindness Challenge we are providing helpful ways for you to complete acts of kindness - try making this DIY bird feeder today!
DIY Bird Feeder Craft
You may be thinking..."how is creating a bird feeder an act of kindness?" Well, the answer is simple, it's an act of kindness toward animals and the environment! You are feeding birds, (providing entertainment for everyone in the household) but most importantly you are reusing and re-purposing materials that help the environment. Most of the supplies required for this activity you will already have!
If you can, we recommend you get grandparents or friends involved so that everyone is creating their own bird feeder, virtually but together #TogetherAlone.
- empty cartons (washed and dried)
- paint (acrylic if possible)
- paper towel
- nail or screwdriver
- string or yarn
- Set up your station – use either an old tablecloth/towels/sheets, newspaper, etc.
- With help from an adult, use a knife or scissors to cut the sides out of a carton.
- If you’d like, create unique colours with your paints by mixing them.
- Place the carton on your station (where the surface is protected) and start to paint your bird feeder – remember, to try different designs and patterns!
- Let paint dry.
- Poke a hole into the top on each side of the carton with a nail or screwdriver.
- Thread a piece of yarn or string through the carton and knot at the top to hang.
- Fill with birdseed and hang in a location outside.
- Watch birds come to enjoy your gift to them!
Join the Movement
Participate in our #GiveBackOntario 110 Acts of Kindness Challenge and help make a difference in your community. Tell us about your good deed, who’s impacted, why it’s important to you, and share a picture using the hashtag #GiveBackOntario on social media or upload it here.
Share Your #GiveBackOntario Act of Kindness Here »