As part of our #GiveBackOntario 110 Acts of Kindness Challenge, we've decided that Monday, May 25, 2020, is “Be Kind To Yourself Day!” Being kind to yourself is difficult, that’s why we’ve provided you with everything you need to know about self-care.
Be Kind To Yourself Day - May 25
The effects of isolation during COVID-19 have undoubtedly been tough on many people for a variety of different reasons. Whether you live alone or have a family, everyone’s worlds have changed dramatically in the last couple of months. The stress of the current pandemic can take a toll, which is why it's vital you remember to practice self-care daily.
You are important so, you must take good care of yourself.
Focusing on self-care will help lift the fog and you’ll feel more connected to yourself and others. Trust us, these small pleasures will make you happy and will help take your mind off anything negative.
Simple Ways to Get Started on Your Self-care Journey
Self-Care for the Mind:
- Unplug for an hour and free yourself from the constant notifications from texts, social media, and e-mail.
- Be selfish and do one thing today that makes you happy.
- Start a compliments file where you’ll document all the nice things people say about you so you can read through them one day.
- Try to cross off one thing on your to-do list that has been there for a while.
- Do a mini declutter and purge some things you no longer wear or use. You can also donate items that are still in good shape.
Self-Care Ideas for the Body:
- Give your body 10 minutes of mindful attention – check-in with each part of your body.
- Put on your favourite record and dance!
- Get at least 15 minutes of sun – and spend more time outside with nature.
- Make one small change to your diet for the week such as drinking an extra glass of water.
- Try to make time to exercise – run, walk, yoga, or whatever you like best.
Self-Care Ideas for the Soul:
- Choose who you spend your time with and spend it with people who make you happy.
- Compliment yourself – look in the mirror and tell your reflection all the things you love about yourself.
- Do a spa day at home – take a longer bath or shower, sit around and relax or catch up on a book.
- Ask 3 friends what they love about you.
- Find 5 unexpected beautiful things on your way to work.
Even when life gets back to normal after these trying times, don’t make self-care a one-time thing. Practice self-care daily, you’ll notice the positive impact it has! Above all, always be kind to yourself – you’re doing the best you can and that’s amazing!
Join the Movement
Participate in our #GiveBackOntario 110 Acts of Kindness Challenge and help make a difference in your community. Tell us about your good deed, who’s impacted, why it’s important to you, and share a picture using the hashtag #GiveBackOntario on social media or upload it here.