If you own a drone or know someone who owns a drone make sure you’re informed of the new laws and rules, as you could receive a fine if they are broken.
When it comes to operating your drone safely, be sure to do it on a clear sunny day, ideally without anything in your airspace. In Canada, if your drone weighs 250 grams to 35 kilograms you must follow these new laws.
New rules for recreational drone use in Canada
- Before you use your drone, it must be fully labeled with your name, address, and telephone number.
- Do not fly your drone any higher than 90
metresabove the ground.
- Your drone shouldn’t be closer than 75
to buildings, vehicles or people. metres
- You shouldn’t fly your drone closer than 9
kilometresfrom an aerodrome, which includes an airport, heliport, etc.
- A drone should never have any interference with any first responder.
- You need to be able to see your drone at all times, and that includes not using it at night or in clouds.
- You must stay within 500
metresof your drone at all times.