If you are planning a winter vacation, it is important that you are aware of how to protect your home while you’re away.
Winter in Ontario has hit hard and many people are heading south to escape the freezing conditions. Before you exchange your shovel for sunscreen, it’s important that you know how crucial it is to prepare your home for your absence.
Keep your home protected with these helpful tips while you’re on vacation.
- Winterize: Clean your gutters, have your roof inspected and furnace checked.
- Pipes, water, heat: It’s essential that your pipes are protected and insulated. Shut your water off and don’t turn your heat off completely.
- Make it look like your home: Have snow cleared from your driveway and sidewalk after each snowfall. Not only is this a legal requirement in some cities across Ontario, it will also give the appearance that someone is home. Ask someone to check your house every 24-48 hours to check to ensure no issues have occurred.
- Alarm system: Ensure you have a monitoring alarm system and inform the alarm company that you will be on vacation.
- Secure valuables: If you have any valuables in your home, store them in a safety deposit box or a hidden safe – don’t leave any out in the open.
- Some things should be secret: It’s important that you avoid publicizing your vacation on social media, wait until you get back to share your travel pictures!
- Plan ahead: Unplug all unnecessary electronics and appliances throughout your home (including garage, outdoor, basement, etc.) and install timers on indoor and outdoor lights.
- Service, mail & packages: Suspend your telephone, cable and internet service for the months you are away from your home and cancel any regular deliveries such as the local newspaper. In addition, pre-arrange to have someone collect any mail or flyers from your mailbox.