Once a convenient option, online shopping has quickly become a necessity in buying everyday essentials during COVID-19. Make sure you’re protecting your wallet with these safety tips.
With many non-essential stores closed and social distancing guidelines in effect online shopping has become an extremely helpful tool.
Unfortunately, there are people out there looking to take advantage of you while you shop online. We know that due to COVID-19 there is a significant increase in online shoppers, and that’s why we felt it was important to inform you of what’s happening while providing suggestions as to how to can protect yourself.
Side note: if you’re a business owner, be sure to read, How To Keep Your Business Safe During COVID-19 Closures.
COVID-19 Online Shopping Safety Tips
- Make sure your spam filters and anti-virus protection is up to date. This is especially important when you take part in online shopping.
- Have a credit card designated for online shopping. Keep a low credit limit on it (less than $2500) and constantly track it to ensure there is no fraudulent activity.
- Use only secure websites when online shopping, the website URL should have an “s” in it (https://).
- Never purchase while on public WIFI, it’s easy for your information to be stolen through these.
- Watch for price gougers, and only purchase products from reputable online retailers such as AMAZON.ca.
- Upon receiving any online orders wipe the box with a disinfecting wipe, remove the item from the package, discard the package immediately, and then wash your hands and disinfect anything you touched along the way.
- If you’re away from home during the day when most deliveries are made have your online shopping dropped off at the nearest store or pick-up facility.
- If unable to have the package delivered elsewhere, sign up for delivery alerts so you know when the package has been delivered.
- If you have frequent deliveries to your home install a doorbell camera so you can keep an eye on your package.
- Leave delivery instructions when making the order. If you know you won’t be home leave instructions such as “place behind flowerpot on front porch” or “place at side door”
Bottom line, if something doesn’t seem right while online shopping, do not go through with the purchase!
We hope these tips help keep you safe while online shopping during the COVID-19 pandemic. Don’t forget kindness goes a long way during trying times like this. If you’re overwhelmed and experiencing some COVID-19 induced anxiety, be sure to read, How to Cope with Coronavirus Induced Stress.
Click here for an INSTANT Auto Quote »
Creative Ways to Pass Time at Home During COVID-19 »
The Truth About Social Distancing »