We’re hearing a lot about social distancing right now as we battle the Coronavirus outbreak. However, it doesn’t appear that everyone understands exactly what it means, so we’ve outlined it for you!
If we all work together and practice effective social distancing, we will be able to reduce the spread of Coronavirus significantly and curve this outbreak. With help from the Public Health Agency of Canada, below we’ve shared everything you need to know about social distancing.
What does social distancing actually mean?
Social distancing is when you make necessary adjustments to avoid close contact with others. Basically, you stay a minimum of 2 metres (2 arms lengths) away from everyone and if possible, avoid contact altogether.
In particular, be sure to stay away completely from those who are considered ‘high risk,’ for Coronavirus i.e. older individuals, those with a compromised immune system/poor health.
How can you practice social distancing?
Simply put, stay at home. Avoiding leaving your home for anything that isn’t a COMPLETE necessity. The more we all practice staying at home the safer everyone will be and the greater chance we have at stopping the Coronavirus outbreak.
- Work from home and conduct virtual meetings
- Connect with family and friends remotely
- Exercise at home or outside – PLEASE NOTE – if you choose to exercise outside on a trail or such, be sure you maintain a 2-metre distance from everyone
- Shop for groceries online, use food delivery services
- Entertain your family at your home, with game nights, etc.
Other helpful reminders
- Wash your hands often, for at least 20 seconds – here is a helpful chart to follow
- If you’re overwhelmed and experiencing anxiety due to the uncertainties surrounding Coronavirus, try these tips that we think will help
- Keep common surfaces sanitized and avoid touching them when possible
- Make sure if you cough or sneeze to do so in the bend of your arm
Please be sure you practice effective social distancing, we understand how difficult it can be, but the quicker we all get on board and do this the quicker this outbreak will be over. Make sure you check out our blog, How to Cope with Coronavirus Induced Stress, we hope it helps you as much as it has helped us.
Click here for an INSTANT Auto Quote »