It is safe to say that most of us want to ensure our homes are safe and secure. However, many of us do things that put our home’s security in jeopardy, while not even realizing it. We have created a “What NOT to do” list that will improve your home safety.
There are many factors that contribute to the cost of your insurance, many of them beyond consumer control. However, there are things you can do to help minimize the chance that you will have to make a claim. One of the best ways to avoid an insurance claim for your home is to be proactive and ensure you are following safety precautions.
The challenge is we are not always aware of how some actions can expose our safety and increase our chance of being burglarized. Due to this we have compiled a list of things NOT to do; applying the following tips will reduce your risk of becoming a victim of burglary and ensure your home’s safety.
What NOT to Do
- Do NOT have a nameplate outside of your house with your full name (A burglar can use this information in a variety of ways, one of which can be used to find your number and call to see if you are home).
- Do NOT leave a note on the door or in the mailbox telling a friend/family member that you aren’t home.
- Do NOT leave spare keys in an obvious place such as the mailbox or under the front door mat (This makes it very easy for a burglar to rob your house quickly without forcing entry)
- Do NOT leave anything of significant value out in the open in your house (for example cash and handbags).
- Do NOT leave any doors unlocked, even when you are home; in the yard or basement
We hope you found our list of “What NOT to do” eye opening and helpful. We hold home safety in high regard. Sometimes we do not realize that we are creating opportunities for burglars to burglarize our homes. We are constantly providing relevant insurance tips and information that may affect you! Be sure to check our blog regularly for more details on home safety. If you would like any information on home safety and insurance, please contact Youngs Insurance Brokers today!
SIMILAR POSTS>> Telematics for your home – The discussion is Evolving
>> Make sure your Collection is Protected