If you’re a classic car owner, the summer weather is ideal for showing off your ride! We’re sharing simple secrets to keep your vehicle in pristine condition all year round!
After months of being in storage, we’re certain you are eager to take your classic car on the road. Before you head out for your first ride, read our tips on how to protect your classic car this summer!
Five Simple Truths About Protecting Your Classic Car
#1 Drive Carefully
A classic car is meant to be enjoyed, but you should be careful while driving it this summer. You’re going to want to avoid…
- Gravel roads because stones can chip the paint
- Wet roads, because classic cars are sprayed with primer and paint as opposed to being coated by electrolysis; due to this the bare metal is more susceptible to corrosion and rust.
#2 Keep it CleanIt’s simple, your classic car will last longer if you keep it clean. Driving the car exposes it to environmental elements such as tree sap, bugs and acidic rain. As soon as you notice something stuck to the paint, you should wash the exterior. It’s best to use a microfibre cloth for washing and drying. You can also apply wax regularly to keep it shiny and protect it from damage this summer.
#3 Regular Maintenance
Conducting regular maintenance will help keep your vehicle running smoothly. The oil filter should be changed often, about every 4,000 kilometres. You should use high-grade oils such as fully synthetic. Other maintenance tips:
- Change the coolant every 3-5 years
- Check the engine thermostat every time you change the engine coolant
- Replace the air filter annually – clogged air filters cause issues such as hard starting, engine stumbling, increased fuel consumption and stalling
- Change the spark plugs every 32,000 kilometres
- Protect your tires with a conditioner – this prevents early tire degradation
#4 Select Storage Carefully
Keep your classic car in a safe place i.e. a locked garage or rental location that comes with security. While in storage, keep your car covered to prevent dust from settling on the paint and to protect it from scratches. That way every summer ride it will sparkle!
#5 Insurance Knowledge
The summer season is the ideal time to bring out your seasonal vehicles, whether it’s a classic, antique or summer convertible. You’ll want to ensure you have all the insurance information required. Read Five Quick Tips Regarding Seasonal Vehicles & Insurance.
We hope you enjoy riding your classic car this summer!
Click here for an INSTANT Auto Quote »
Do’s & Don’ts For Driving Safely In The Fog »
4 Things You Need To Know About Driving Drowsy Today »