If you’re planning on doing any spring or summer road trips, you should educate yourself on Ontario licence plate facts!
When it comes to your licence plate the responsibility lies on you, the owner of the vehicle to ensure it’s not ever obstructed. We’ve outlined everything nobody told you about licence plate rules, fines and changes within Ontario.
3 Valuable Facts You Need To Know About Licence Plates
#1 The Rules …
- Everything on your plate must be visible at all times.
- You must ensure your licence plate is free of dirt and debris and is clean at all times.
- You cannot have a tinted/colored licence plate cover.
- Your plate cannot be obstructed in any way by your vehicle, trailer, attachments, bumper bars, spare tires, bike racks, grills or anything else.
- Your licence plate must not be damaged in any way that prevents it from being legible i.e. bent, etc.
#2 The Fines…
The following licence plate infractions will result in an $85.00 fine:
- Failure to display two plates
- No plates
- Plate improperly displayed
- No validation on the plate or it's improperly displayed
- Change the identity of the plate
- Obstructed or dirty plate
- Entire plate not plainly visible, or obstructed from red-light photo camera or toll system
There is no set fine for the following licence plate infractions:
- Defaced or altered plate
- Deface or alter validation
The following licence plate infractions result in a $140.00 fine:
- Use plate not authorized for vehicle
- Use plate not in accordance with regulations
#3 The 2019 Changes…
In the Ontario government’s most recent budget, it was announced that licence plates for both personal and commercial vehicles are being redesigned. At this time, they’ve released the new design details for personal vehicles, however, we’re still waiting on what the new commercial plate design. The new personal plates will be dark blue, featuring the newly designed trillium logo, and the tagline “A Place to Grow”.
Click here for an INSTANT Auto Quote »