This summer has been perfect for enjoying your boat on the lake. To ensure your boat is in pristine condition, here is a helpful maintenance checklist to reference.
Whether it's for fishing, sightseeing or just for fun it's important to go through a series of checks and balances to make sure your boat is ready to ride. Being in the routine of reviewing your checklist every time you are in a different boat, will help prevent a host of problems that could keep you off the water later in the season. Not to mention, help keep you and everyone aboard safe during your adventures.
A helpful checklist of things you should do before hitting the water:
- Re-read your owner’s manual.
- Inspect all of the safety equipment on board, including fire extinguishers, flares, personal flotation devices and first-aid kits.
- Check all lights on your boat.
- Check for excess water in the bilge.
- Check for any electrical issues, such as loose, disconnected or corroded conductors.
- Check that the battery is properly secured to the vessel.
- Ensure there are no fuel leaks.
- Ensure proper ventilation.
- Ensure no water is present in your fuel filters.
- Use fresh gas/fuel.
- Check the oil level before starting the boat for the first time.
- Review launching procedures.
Keep in mind that every boat is unique and that you can't expect things to be the same in every boat you have or use. By using our checklist every time you are in a different boat, you will be ready to start exploring the waters.
Click here for an INSTANT Auto Quote »
Why Having an Emergency Safety Plan for Your Family is Necessary »
Understanding How to Drive Safely with Large Trucks »