This summer has been perfect for enjoying your boat on the lake. To ensure your boat is in pristine condition, here is a helpful maintenance checklist to reference.
Whether it's for fishing, sightseeing or just for fun it's important to go through a series of checks and balances to make sure your boat is ready to ride. Being in the routine of reviewing your checklist every time you are in a different boat, will help prevent a host of problems that could keep you off the water later in the season. Not to mention, help keep you and everyone aboard safe during your adventures.
A helpful checklist of things you should do before hitting the water:
- Re-read your owner’s manual.
- Inspect all of the safety equipment on board, including fire extinguishers, flares, personal flotation devices and first-aid kits.
- Check all lights on your boat.
- Check for excess water in the bilge.
- Check for any electrical issues, such as loose, disconnected or corroded conductors.
- Check that the battery is properly secured to the vessel.
- Ensure there are no fuel leaks.
- Ensure proper ventilation.
- Ensure no water is present in your fuel filters.
- Use fresh gas/fuel.
- Check the oil level before starting the boat for the first time.
- Review launching procedures.