Water damage is one of the leading causes for personal property insurance claims in Ontario. Learning how to deal with preventable water damage is essential for everyone who lives in Ontario.
Water damage has surpassed fire as the leading cause of personal property claims in Ontario.The challenge with water is that even the smallest amount of water can be a major headache, resulting in the homeowner having to claim under their personal property insurance. Intact Insurance classifies water damage as the following; flooding, broken pipes, sewer backup, and leaky plumbing.
Protecting your home from water damageSince water damage is so widespread throughout Ontario, it’s important that you inform yourself and ensure you have the coverage you require to protect your home. Speak to your insurance broker to confirm what your insurance coverage protects and adjust if necessary. Furthermore, we suggest contacting your local municipality to find out if there are any special programs that may be in place to protect your home against water damage.
Reducing your risk with preventative tipsWe cannot control Mother Nature; however, we can implement preventative tips to help reduce our risk of having unwanted water in our home. The following checklist has been adapted by Intact Insurance.
Tips for Preventing Water Damage outside your Home
- Clean eaves troughs and downspouts to ensure proper drainage
- If you have any damage on the outside of your home (including cracks, etc.) repair them
- Ensure you caulk window trim and door frames
- Check your roof and flashing for repairs
- Install weather stripping on exterior doors and windows
- Winterize your pool or hot tub
- Turn off the water supply to outdoor taps after the taps have been left open to drain completely. Leave the taps in the open position until the spring
- Always clear snow away from the foundation of your house
Tips for Preventing Water Damage inside your Home
- Check heat-duct and water pipe insulation
- Inspect any washing machine and dishwasher hoses for cracks or leaks, and clean the filters
- Water shut-off valve - learn the location of it and learn how to use it
- Have the furnace and air conditioner professionally serviced annually
- Have any chimneys cleaned annually and repaired as needed
>>Get an INSTANT Home Insurance Quote NOW
SIMILAR POSTS>> 6 Home Insurance Myths: What is the truth?
>> Consumer Reports’ 10 Most Reliable Cars