Each winter thousands of Ontarians head south to avoid the harsh Ontario winter months. These snowbirds leave their homes for months at a time, which is why it is essential your home is protected.
If you are a snowbird who is planning to leave your residence for an extended duration, it is important to advise your broker, so that together you can ensure your home insurance coverage stays in effect.
In addition to speaking with your broker, we have outlined 10 home insurance tips for snowbirds moving south for the winter months.
Home Insurance Tips for Snowbirds
- Be sure to winterize your home by cleaning your gutters, and having your roof inspected and furnace checked. It is important that your home be able to handle the harsh winter weather.
- Suspend your telephone, cable and internet service for the months you are away from your home.
- Ensure you have a monitoring alarm system, protecting your home.
- Arrange to have someone collect any junk mail or flyers from your front door.
- Cancel any regular deliveries (i.e. newspaper) and forward your mail.
- If you have any valuables in your home, store them in a safety deposit box.
- It is important that you do not publicize your vacation, for example, do not post your travel plans on social media.
- Unplug all unnecessary electronics and appliances throughout your home (including garage, outdoor, basement, etc.)
- Be sure to install timers on indoor and outdoor lights.
- Hire someone to clear snow from your driveway and sidewalk after each snowfall.
In addition, we suggest having someone visit your home every three days to ensure no issues arise. We hope that you have found our 10 home insurance tips for snowbirds helpful. We pride ourselves on educating our customers with useful information. If you would like a no obligation quote on your home insurance, please click here or contact us today!
SIMILAR POSTS>> Are you jeopardizing your Home’s Safety?
>> Telematics for your home – The discussion is Evolving