As the holiday season is quickly approaching, many of us will be visiting friends and family to celebrate. However, if you are leaving your home for longer than 24 hours, you need to be aware of how to protect your home from potential water damage.
During the holiday season we tend to experience more frigid temperatures, and due to this, experiencing water damage becomes more possible. We believe it is essential that you are aware of how to protect your home from water damage. This is especially true if you will be leaving your home for an extended period of time – you do not want to have your pipes freeze and burst!
Often when people leave their homes for more than 24 hours they will turn their heat off, which can, unfortunately, lead to water damage. However, not all water damage is caused by burst pipes. We have outlined for you some tips to avoid water damage during the holidays.
Tips to Avoid Water Damage during the Holidays
- Have you turned your outdoor water off yet? Before things freeze, make sure you do this, removing all hoses from outside taps.
- As mentioned, do not turn off your heat completely. You do not want to have your pipes burst because of freezing temperatures.
- Have you insulated your garage and basement? This will help protect pipes from freezing.
- Be sure to winterize your home by cleaning your gutters, as neglecting to do so can cause water to back up and enter your home.
- If possible, install a water monitoring alarm system that alerts you of any water issues.
Avoiding any unnecessary upset is always a good thing, especially during the holiday season. We hope you find our tips to avoid water damage during the holidays helpful! Remember, if you have any questions about potential water damage in your home contact your insurance broker today!
SIMILAR POSTS>> Office Holiday Party | Insurance & Liability
>> Happy Holidays from Youngs Insurance