The weather we have been experiencing in Ontario this summer has been ideal for motorcycle trips and rides. Make sure you ride safe this summer; we have outlined our top 5 summer motorcycle driving tips for you.
Considering the dangers that come with riding a motorcycle, it is important to be aware of safety tips for driving this summer season. The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) released a 10-year statistics report on motorcycle accidents from 2005-2014, that stated there were 3504 deaths, with 67% of victims being male.
Since we provided you with our summer safety driving tips for your car, we felt it necessary to provide you with the top 5 summer safety tips for motorcyclists. Our motorcycle tips have been adapted from the Canada Safety Council.
5 Tips for Safe Motorcycle Driving this Summer
- Motorcycle Training is essential – it is important that you take professional rider training, as they can provide you with the necessary tools to being a skilled rider, who drives defensively.
- Safety Gear – a correctly fitted helmet can save your life, make sure you have it fastened properly. Not only that but be sure to use appropriate riding attire; including gloves, pants, jacket, and boots. When riding at night it is important to wear reflective and visible clothing.
- Drive Defensively – always stay alert to the cars and obstacles around you. This includes leaving ample space, abiding speed limits and watching for debris on the road.
- Unfavourable Weather can have a significant impact on your ride, especially poor weather conditions. Rainy conditions can make the roads slippery and create reduced visibility. Avoid driving in unfavourable weather conditions, if that isn’t possible then be sure to leave extra space.
- Trip Distance – when planning a motorcycle trip, be sure to limit the distance traveled daily to 300 – 500 kilometers. In addition, take the time to stop for breaks.
If you are planning a motorcycle ride or trip this summer we hope you keep our safety tips in mind. If you are bringing someone along to ride with you, be sure they follow the rules of the road as well and wear proper gear.
If you are interested in putting insurance on your motorcycle for the summer season and would like a no obligation quote, please contact Youngs Insurance today, or get an online quote.
More About Youngs Insurance
SIMILAR POSTS>> Summer Safety Driving Tips
>> Summer Renovations & Your Home Insurance